Monday, September 1, 2008

Joseph Stuart, M.D. and Kristen Stuart, P.A.

Monday night was the usual routine . . . We got the kids to bed, I cleaned up last minute things, Joe was surfing the internet and watching T.V. I was just settling down to sit next to him when we heard the pitter-patter of little feet AGAIN!

We have a problem in our household that has been a problem for a few years now. Our little rugrats can not stay in bed! We have taken away privileges, made threats, given them spankings, separated them, grounded them, screamed and yelled at them, etc. For some reason, they think bedtime means sneak around and play in each other's rooms thinking that Mom and Dad don't know what they are doing. Unfortunately, for me, bedtime means I lose my patience. I am done being a mom at 8:00 p.m. Then it is "couple time with dessert and tv/movie" or "Mommy's projects without interruption". After yelling upstairs a few times and trying to ignore them, we heard the bang and the screaming. Kate and Clark came yelling downstairs that Jake was bleeding all over the floor. Joe went upstairs and they were right. A huge gash on the left side of his forehead. Great, another scar on Jake's face. (This makes 3 including his plastic surgery)

He needed stitches and rather than going to the E.R. Joe did it at home with me as his assistant. Jake was hysterical and we gave him the choice of going to the hospital or having Daddy and Mommy do it. He chose us and we just told him that Daddy was going to glue it closed. We had to keep the shot and stitches secret or we never would have made it. Jake laid on a towel on the counter and I had to sit up there holding Jake down with my legs and arms. Of course as soon as the lidocaine went in, Jake went beserk kicking and trying to pull out the needle. He finally calmed down and Joe was able to put in three stitches. The entire time Jake was asking if he was done yet and we just told him "2 more glue dots . . .1 more glue dot" "You're so brave, Jake!" "You're doing great." When we were done, it looked great and Jacob conked out in his bed. Five days later, Joe took the stitches out and Jake could go swimming. Dr. Daddy did an excellent job and it sure beat 4 hours in the emergency room.


9 comments:

Cassie said...

Oh, man! That is such a bonus to having your husband a medical doctor. We always super glue our kids, but I guess the cuts have never been bad enough to really worry about. I'm sure that super glue just doesn't quite cut it either. You just keep all that stuff on hand? I'm gonna have to pick me up some on the black market! MMmmmm, how do you get in touch with the black market? MMmmm, alright, maybe I'll just have to do it the civilian way. I am impressed though. Nice work!

Simkins said...

I wish I had a live at home doctor!! Other than those doctors sure think they know it all! :) jk
Poor Jake the Snake, unfortunatly your probably going to have years of this to look forward too with him!!

QB Family said...

Jakey you are so brave! Well not really, I saw you get the stitches taken out. Ha ha! Good work Dr. Joe and M.A. Kristen.

Liz said...

That is Awesome guys! You make a great team! Well done! Did Clark take the picture of you holding Jake and Joe stitching?

Geneva said...

Wow, how did he do it anyway? We have the same problem without the stitches and bleeding however...our kids can't stay in their beds either!

Geneva said...

p.s. I love your new family picture!!

BjandEm said...

Way to go!!! I am glad all worked out ok for him. Hey, we sure do miss your family! Looking at your blog I am getting a little water-eyed and everytime I pass your old house I get a little sad feeling in my stomach. Just the other night Elise started bawling in her bed and I asked why...she said she missed her friend katelyn. I thought that was special. And then last week in the car Mitchell said he missed Jacob. I told them we will come and visit you. So glad to see things are going well. Please keep in touch!!

Becca said...

Having a doctor in the house sure can be a bonus, huh? I know what you mean about the kids not staying in bed, ARG!! It's every night at our house too

Jen said...

Oh how we miss the Stuart Family! Brayden always reminds me when we pass your house that his buddy Jake used to live there! It breaks my heart! It just isn't the same without you guys! Tell Jake that Brayden misses him & hopes that he can come to his birthday party in a few weeks (ya, he doesn't think Jake would want to miss it)!