I love to shop at craft stores. I don't always buy but I love to get new ideas and just look at stuff. It drives my husband (and sisters when I'm in Utah) crazy. I find it very relaxing and I like to just wander around and look. One store that my kids can not stand to go to is any fabric store, mostly because I love to mix and match fabric colors and patterns and I take FOREVER choosing cute fabric. When they were younger and could sit in the cart, I would make up games to entertain them. In the fabric stores, we would build forts with the fabric bolts. When they could sit in the back of the cart, I would pile the bolts of fabric on top and make a "roof" over their heads and they were stuck in "jail" with only their sippy cup. I would feed them snacks through the bars of the cart but they could not escape until the "roof" was completely gone. This was great because they were entertained and all of my fabric got cut without too many fits and tears.
One store that my kids actually like to go to is Michael's. Another game we would play when they were younger was walking through "the jungle" (the floral department) and trying to spy wild animals. When we would find a tiger it would chase us down the aisle and we weren't safe until we got to the next one. Now that my kids are older (except Carlee and sometimes, Jake) I still have to come up with different games in stores but at Michael's they are pretty good and just like to shop and try to convince me to buy crafts and projects for them.
The other night we went to Michael's as a family. Joe took off with the boys to check out the model cars and such and I was looking at scrapbook paper with the girls. We then met up and were looking at all of the Halloween decor. Now this is sometimes scary because they have the moving vampires, brides of Frankenstein, skeletons, spiders, etc. Carlee was very wary of these figures and leaning away from them with her big eyes wide saying, "Scary!" So we went down the aisle with the cutesy Halloween decorations. I felt something on my shoulder and I looked down and there was a bloody hand resting on my shoulder! I screamed, of course, and Clark laughed his head off. Because I screamed, Carlee started to cry and scream and he began torturing her with the bloody hand waving it in front of her face and trying to put it on her. We were causing quite a scene. I was trying to calm Carlee down and scold Clark all the while trying to shake that crazy feeling of that hand on my shoulder. EEEEWWW!
As we were heading out to the car, Carlee looked at me and said, "Scary Store!" I guess I better avoid that section of the store and just stay in "the jungle" with Carlee.
5 comments:
That's so funny. You're just like Mom, fun to scare! I wonder what will happen when they see my "scary house".
You are such a creative Mom walking through the "jungle" and putting your kids in "jail."
BTW - you do take FOREVER to shop at craft stores. I may go on a 5 hour shopping spree once or twice a year, but I look at different stuff. I may have to re-think about going with you to Gardner Village. Ha ha Love ya!!!
Seriously funny. What a great Mom you are to make up games. I have found that I can't ever take my children to my favorite stores because they are so naughty that I can't think. Their favorite is to slide up and down the aisles.
I would scream too. When I was little my dad used to put on those freaky masks to scare us. I really hate scary Halloweeny stuff, and a bloody hand would be at the top of my list. Yuck. I like cute, fun stuff, but Frankenstien's bride stuff is just weird. Why would we celebrate that way? It's psychotic!
Post a Comment