Sunday, December 28, 2008

Captain Joseph Jay Stuart, USAF


Friday, December 26, 2008 my husband officially began his first deployment. He will be serving in Bagram, Afghanistan for about 6 months. (His orders say six but there is a promise that a replacement will be there in four. I'm planning on at least five months so that four is a nice surprise and if he stays for six, I can handle a few more weeks ;))

The Christmas season has been bittersweet this year because we have been so excited and grateful to be able to spend Christmas together but we knew that Joe would be leaving the next day. We figured that he would be deployed once he got done with residency and we got the official word in October. The whole month of December has been stressful and crazy as he has been working, doing deployment preparations, and trying to fit in Christmas activities. Joe has been amazing through it all by putting our family first while tying up all loose ends at work, being fitted for gas masks, training to shoot guns, signing wills and legal documents, getting paperwork signed at offices all over the base, picking up uniforms and supplies here and there, and making sure that I and our children are squared away while he is gone.

Watching him go through all the preparations has made me more patriotic and even more proud to be a military wife. I am so grateful for the men and women who have and are serving our country. We have met so many wonderful friends through the military and I have watched and admired those who have been through deployments. Some have been away from their families for shorter periods of time and some have been way too long. Several have missed holidays, the growing of their children, and special family events, including the births of new sons and daughters. Either way, these military personnel and their families sacrifice so much to keep us all free.

Joe knew that when he signed up for the Air Force that deployment would be a possibility and although he will miss us very much, he is very honored to have this opportunity to help the injured and serve his country.

We love you so much, Joe, and pray for your safe return. Thank you!

5 comments:

Danielle Christiansen said...

how hard for you and your family. We will prey for his safe return.

The Moving Circus said...

So you totally had me crying the whole time I read this... It is pretty awesome the sacrifices that are given up for our country. I hope it goes by quickly for you!!!

Angela said...

My heart goes out to you. Oh, hope it's only four months and that the time flies quickly. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and best wishes.

BjandEm said...

We love your family! You are one strong woman! I can't wait to see you in February.

The Seaquist Family said...

I had no idea. I am so glad you are close to family and you seem to have a pretty good social network set up in Vegas. I hope the time goes quickly and that he has a good safe experience. I find it interesting that the few doctors we know who have gone have said it was one of the best experiences they have had if it wasn't for having to be away from their family. You are in our prayers.