Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tribute to my Grandmother

Ethel Bates Holt
April 20, 1910 - July 20, 2008

Grandma had 98 years of experiences and what an incredible life she led. She was born in April of 1910, graduated high school in 1929, and married her sweetheart in December of 1930. They had 5 children--4 girls and 1 boy, my dad. Grandpa passed away 21 years ago and Grandma has anxiously been waiting to be with him again. Their joyous reunion happened on July 20, 2008 and I am so grateful that I got to see her a few more times before she passed. She was such a sweet and gracious grandmother and I have so many fond memories of her. My sister, Stephanie, was asked to give a talk at the funeral and did an amazing job. This is the tribute she gave that best explains what she means to us and the memories that we have of her . . .

Of all the remembrances, I have reflected most on Grandma's hands.

They were hands that could do all the important things, that made Grandma, Grandma. Grandma's hands were soft and gentle, constantly moving to take care of anyone close to her. Grandma's hands pulled us close as she whispered how much she cared for each of us, how she loved us all, how beautiful she thought we were, and how much she appreciated our visits.
From cooking to cleaning to sewing and crocheting, from passing out cookies and candies to preparing a meal for each visitor, no matter what time you came to visit. Hers were busy hands, that were a part of her, and became a part of me, of my memory for her. Those loving hands could sneak a treat into our hands, because that is what Grandma did. Grandma had that unique way of making each of us feel special, as if we were getting away with something, something that only Grandma and we were to know.

I remember hands as they helped us climb upon her lap, then covered us grandchildren with snuggles and kisses. I watched those same loving hands help my children, her great grandchildren, climb upon the same caring lap. It helped me to understand the unconditional love and attention that Grandma showed to all her family. Her hands moved freely when crocheting an afghan, a treasure I will always hold dear. I carried mine as a child, and now wrap her beautiful talent around my babies. My afghan is now worn, tattered, stained and faded, but just as precious as it has always been. What a gift, what a wonderful gift I have further received to give my children their own afghan from Great Grandma Holt, when they can fully appreciate the value and heritage it represents.

A life of longevity, spirit, love, and busy hands that will continue though all eternity. Those are the things that I remember. Those are remembrances that enhance my faith and testimony. For I know, that Grandma was happy as long as those hands were useful. They gave purpose and fulfillment of her love to her family. When her hands gave way to not being able to do for others, Grandma gave way. You see, Grandma will always be with us, because we will see Grandma's hands as she stood in the doorway, waving goodbye until we couldn't be seen anymore. Even when we were unsure if her eyesight could still distinguish us as as we would be leaving, we knew that Grandma was still looking after us, and still waving those wonderful hands.

No comments: