Saturday, May 21, 2011

Primary's Got Talent

Back By Popular Demand...

Last year's "Primary's Got Talent" primary activity was such a huge success that we decided to do it again.  As if the month of May wasn't busy enough, we planned it for Friday, May 20th.  
I found these movie theater snack containers online (I love them!  Aren't they cute?) and they were perfect for keeping treats all together.  Each audience member got some M&M's, popcorn, licorice, and a drink.

Krista and Lyndsie took pictures of all of our primary kids and we decorated a "Wall of Fame".
Aspen, Katelyn, Mia and Makenna performed a dance to Jailhouse Rock.   It was great practice for their dance recital coming up in June.  They did a fantastic job and I was so busy running the music that I forgot to videotape and take pictures.  Terrible mom!
Aspen, Makenna, Katelyn, Mia
Clark, Jake, Carlee, and Aiden and Sadie Lott did a skit called "The Ugliest Thing in the World".  Jake was hidden behind the curtain and Clark was the "ringmaster" calling people to step right up and see the Ugliest Thing in the World.  When Katelyn, Sadie, Aiden, and Carlee gave their tickets and looked behind the curtain, they would scream, run off the stage, faint, or yell "Mommy!"  Then Clark called up an audience member and when he looked behind the curtain, Jake screamed and fainted.  It was pretty funny and the kids did a great job acting out their parts. 

We, as a presidency, weren't sure what to do this year because we didn't have time to practice, so I came up with a funny last-minute idea.  We drew eyes on our chins (to look like faces) and hung upside down from the stage.  Then we stuffed baby sleepers and stuck them on our heads so that we looked like babies with weird heads.  We would lip-sync to "Baby" from Justin Bieber.  I thought it would be hilarious and the kids would love catching the "Bieber Fever".  I've seen the chin-head thing before but my ideas always look better in my mind so I hoped we could pull it off and that it would be funny.

The whole afternoon we were back and forth on whether we should do the talent or not.  At the very last second we decided to do it and all rushed backstage to stuff the sleepers, shove our hair into them, and draw our baby faces on our chins.  Lyndsie was the MC and she didn't have a clue that we finally decided to do it.  She really wanted to do it since it was her last primary activity.  (She is moving to Tucson) After my "baby" was stuffed, I ran over to the curtain and was frantically trying to get her attention to come back without showing my "talent" to the audience.  She finally clued in to what I was saying and raced backstage.  When all of us were ready, we laid down on the stage floor and shimmied under the curtain to the edge of the stage.
Me, Laurie, Melissa, Lyndsie
We thought we'd hear some laughing or some sort of noise once we got out there, but we didn't hear a thing!  It was dead silent.  Then our music started and since we couldn't see anything with the "babies" on our head, we swung our heads around and mouthed the words to the song.   I heard Lyndsie and Melissa laughing after a few minutes but Laurie was silent because she had a binky in her mouth.  After about two choruses, Melissa was getting dizzy and confused with all the blood rushing to her head.  So she dragged herself under the curtain with Lyndsie close behind.  Laurie followed suit and because I couldn't hear what was going on with them due to the music in my ears, I was out there all alone!  Then we all realized that I was all alone so Laurie grabbed my leg and pulled me under the curtain.  We were laughing our heads off but the kids didn't really understand what was going on or who did the lip-sync.  When we all came out to have a closing prayer, they noticed the makeup on our chins and asked, "Oh, was that you?" 

Yes, the kids were a little confused.  Some were even a little freaked out!  Mutant babies with weird shaped heads dancing to Justin Bieber... yea, that's a tremendous talent!  (Quoted by Melissa)  Like I said, ideas are better in my head.  

After it was all over and cleaned up, Melissa and I went to CiCi's Pizza for dinner, and we started talking about the activity.  As we talked about the craziness of getting ready for our own talent, slapping makeup on our chins, running around backstage with stuffed sleepers on our heads, shimmying under the curtain, and making up words to "Baby" we started laughing uncontrollably in the restaurant.  Both of us were crying and laughing so hard it hurt, and people were starting to stare.  It was so much fun! 
This is what we really look like!  (Me, Melissa, Lyndsie, Krista, Laurie) Krista said she wasn't feeling well so being upside down would make her worse but I think she was too embarrassed to be seen with us mutant babyheads!
After the Talent Show, we had a boys' sleepover at my house.  Jake and Carter Chugg slept over while Katelyn slept over with Hanna.  Carlee got to sleep with me because Joe was out of town so we snuggled and watched Lemonade Mouth up in my bed while the boys slept in the family room and on the LoveSac.

The boys had a great night with pizza, swimming, basketball, board games, Neon Leon, video games, and a movie.  Surprisingly I didn't have to yell at them to stop running wildly through my house.  They were so good and had a great time.  Such cute boys!
The Jakes!
So cute and silly.  We'll miss Jake squared!
Carter and Clark giving each other Pokemon advice and tips
Such good and handsome boys.  We will miss you, Carter!
Jacob, our next door neighbor and another good friend of Clark's, but we get to keep him around.

No comments: