Today Clark was ordained a Deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was a really special day and we were all very excited. My sensitive oldest son got a little bit nervous before church because he was feeling the pressure of "being perfect" and living up to the expectations of honoring his priesthood. He suddenly felt very overwhelmed and we had to leave sacrament meeting to talk a little bit out in the hallway and calm some nerves. Clark felt as if he wasn't ready and didn't deserve this ordinance because he forgets to pray every single night and he doesn't read his scriptures every single day. He was very concerned that he wasn't worthy.
Although my heart went out for him as I was trying to comfort him and explain that he didn't need to be perfect to be ordained a Deacon or that perfection was an expectation at 12 years old, I felt happy and proud that my son was sensitive to the importance of these new responsibilities. Clark is such a sweetheart and wants to do the right things all the time. He wants to please his Heavenly Father and his parents. He is a great example to his younger brother and sisters and his friends. He is such a good son and I was grateful that we were able to have a little discussion about this new step in his life. When our talk was over, he wrapped his arms around me, thanked me for comforting him, and told me that he loved me. That started my tears that I had been holding back all morning.
I am so grateful to be Clark's mom. He still hugs me and yells "I love you!" before he goes to school even in front of his friends. He makes me so proud and happy and the spirit was felt strongly as he received his priesthood ordination. He is thrilled with this step in the gospel and I know that he understands that it is a great responsibility and honor. His testimony will only grow stronger and so will his love for the Savior as he passes the sacrament each Sunday to the families in our ward. We love this sweet young man very much and look forward to watching him grow.
No comments:
Post a Comment