Monday, March 12, 2012

Separation Anxiety

Since Joe and I got back from San Francisco, Carlee has had a bit of separation anxiety, which is really unusual for her.  She is a social butterfly and barely hugged us goodbye when we left.  But she follows me around the house and cries for me when she goes to preschool, dance, the gym, and Primary.  She won't even go to birthday parties or play at her friends' houses anymore.  They all have to come to our house to play.  We have been working on being brave for each of her activities.  She has "passed off" school and dance now but has a few more to go.  We printed out pictures of her brothers, sister, and parents and she carries them with her in an envelope in case she gets sad.  We have talked about it extensively and she claims that she doesn't want us to be separated and doesn't want anything bad to happen to her mom and dad. 

Mom:  "Why do you cry when I go to the gym or when you go to dance?  You don't cry at school."
Carlee:  "Because I don't cry when my BFF's are there.  At dance there is only B's . . . I mean F's.  And church is really long and I don't see you there anymore.  I don't want you to leave and I don't want me to get stolen!"

Another day I was forcing her to go to dance with the carpool when it wasn't my turn to drive.  She wouldn't get dressed and looked at me defiantly and said, "Jesus wants us to make our own choices and going to dance is not MY choice, it's yours!"

No comments: