Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back to School

I love back to school. I remember how excited I was and I could never sleep the night before. I loved going shopping for new clothes and school supplies. I loved labeling my things and getting everything organized in piles and then placing them neatly in my backpack. I loved laying out my first day of school outfit the night before. I loved waking up extra early on the first day and making sure my hair and outfit was just right so I would "look cute". I loved the butterflies in my stomach and how I just couldn't eat breakfast because I was so excited. Now I get to re-live those days with my children . . . at least I thought.

We got through the shopping of new clothes and school supplies. We got through the labeling and organizing. We got through the laying out of the new outfit. We got through the sneaking into each other's rooms when they were supposed to be asleep and whispering how excited they were to go to school. We got through the "early" morning looking just right and swallowing a couple of bites before pushing the plate away and running upstairs to brush teeth and get on shoes. We took pictures and loaded into the car. We were going through the first day of school with flying colors. We even made it to the playground on time for them to stand on the dot with their class number and participate in "Morning Muster" (they do the pledge of allegiance, a moment of silence, and announcements outside before walking into school).

Clark was settled and although looking a little nervous, he bravely waved good-bye and said, "I love you, Mom. See you this afternoon!" Now Katelyn, on the other hand, started the tears the instant her class started walking into the building. I couldn't believe it! She was the most excited and couldn't wait to meet some new friends. She hung onto me for dear life and begged me to "home-school" her. When I told her no (Mean Mom!) she asked me to stay with her at her desk all day and Carlee and Jake could just watch. I gently pushed her into her seat and walked away. She came running after me with tears just streaming down her face. I was trying to be firm telling her how much fun she would have and that she would find some great friends like she did last year. She was still crying but luckily, her teacher came out and helped her into the room after I promised over and over that I would be there to pick her up right at 3:20. I sneaked away after taking a quick peek to make sure the tears were over and headed back to start my day with 2 less children. Whew!

Just in case you are wondering, they both had a great day and met some new friends. This transition has been a little tough on my sweethearts and they have struggled a bit but they are getting through it. It can only get better. Life in the military . . . hmmmm.

6 comments:

jcwilles said...

How funny, Kate and Sierra wore the same outfit. They must be cousins or something.

QB Family said...

They sure look cute! I love Katelyn's "home school" comment and I can just picture Clark with his nervous face saying, "I love you Mom."

Anonymous said...

Im glad they had good first days at school. It is a little scary to go to a new school. We might have to do the same thing next year.

Amber Jensen said...

Hey Kristin, its so sad to hear that Katelyn was so sad her first day. I'm glad she had a good day. This has been a harder than normal transition for us too. I think we were all so comfortable and happy in San Antonio. I miss my friends! Come visit!

Simkins said...

Clark and Kate look so cute!! How is everything else going in Las Vegas??

Liz said...

Kristen, they are so cute! I am so glad that you got blogging again. It is good to see what your family is up to!