Tuesday morning after Katelyn's performance of Suessical, the kids loaded into the car with Grandma, Grandpa, 4 suitcases, pillows, stuffed animals, car activity bags, roller blades, golf clubs, bike helmets and a bike with strict instructions to be good, helpful, and take care of each other. Joe and I had planned a vacation to Germany and our kids were heading up to Brigham for their own little vacation with cousins and grandparents.
There were a lot of tears and hugs (mostly from me) as I watched my children drive away. I've left my kids before but it really feels different when you are the one standing there alone. I was a little nervous about being that far away from them and for two whole weeks. I knew that they were in great hands and would have a wonderful time but it's really hard to go across the world when all your greatest fears and concerns come to mind and your imagination starts running wild about the possibility of your children becoming parentless.
After moping on the couch for an hour after they left, I eventually buckled down and finished up the laundry, scrubbed my house clean without any interruptions (that was the best!), paid all the bills, finished up last-minute emails and Primary stuff, and started packing. We were leaving on Thursday so I had plenty of time to get everything done before the trip.
Joe served his mission in Germany and has been wanting to take me there for years. A growing family, school, residency, and other priorities have taken place but it was finally the time to go and we were really excited to make the trip. Our good friends, the Oldhams and Aikeles, were willing to join us on our adventure and we were excited that the day had finally come after making lots of arrangements, gathering opinions, and settling on a great whirlwind of an itinerary over the past few months. Luckily, Joe was the brains behind the operation and everyone was happy to let him be our guide.
Thursday morning came quickly and we finished up all the last minute business, made a quick run to Target, grabbed some lunch at Cafe Rio, and waited for Sam and Marquessa to meet at our house for a ride to the airport. Jake and Amber had left several days earlier to spend some time in England and they were to meet us on Friday night in Berlin. Our flight left that afternoon at 4:45 p.m. We left for the airport around 2:00 and everything went smoothly to get on our flight. We are off to Germany!

No comments:
Post a Comment