Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Choices



Jake has been having a hard time keeping his room clean the past few weeks. He won't hang his clothes up or put them in the hamper. When he is done with them, he throws them on the floor. Usually when Jake gets home from school, he needs to have some downtime either playing the Wii or watching T.V. before starting homework or chores. One day, I insisted that he go straight upstairs and clean up his room before any playing was done. Jake is really stubborn about cleaning up and usually has something else going on in his mind so often he ignores what I say and looks at me with a blank stare. I was getting frustrated after asking him several times so I gave him a firm choice, "You can either clean up your room or you can clean a bathroom all by yourself, Jake." He looked at me and said, "Mom, you are just like Satan by giving me a choice but making me choose what you want me to do." I busted up laughing. Well, I couldn't really argue with that. I would surely win either way, but what I found more comforting is that our teachings and lessons really do get through that thick skull of his! Needless to say, we cleaned up his room together. Love you, Snake!

No comments: