Saturday, October 13, 2012

Jacob's Shiner

Joe and I were in bed reading and listening to the usual raucous of the boys wrestling, playing basketball, and messing around in their room instead of sleeping at 11:30 p.m.  All of the sudden we heard Jake's usual nightly cry.  Again, a nightly routine so we didn't move.  Jake was screaming like he was dying (his usual cry).  We continued to ignore them.  Then Clark came into our room crying, apologizing, and explaining that Jake's eyebrow had moved to the side of his head. 

Joe got up and went in to see what was going on.  Jacob had the biggest goose-egg I have ever seen right next to his eye.  It was huge.  I grabbed an ice bag and told him to calm down because both he and Clark were crying hysterically.  Clark was apologizing profusely and yelling about how he was the worst brother in the world and that he wished he could take the pain away from Jake.  We again gave the lecture about messing around, carrying things too far, and not going to bed when they are told.  They had been playing wrestling soccer and Clark went to throw Jake on his bed but couldn't lift him high enough so he plowed right into the sideboard with his eye. 

Jacob went to bed with an ice pack on the side of his head next to his right eye and Clark continued to sniffle until he fell asleep too.  Sunday morning, the goose-egg had "moved" from the side of his head to his eye.  It was completely swollen shut.  We went to church and it was very interesting to see the progression of his eye during those three hours--swelling, purple, and red.  This black eye was definitely the worst I've seen and over the last 2 weeks people have been very impressed by its awesomeness.  And in case you are wondering, it didn't stop them from messing around again during bedtime the next night, even when Joe and I threatened to blacken the other one!  Oh, these boys!
The eye before church and the eye after church
When he wanted to look or talk to someone he would lift his head up and peer out from under his swollen eyelid.  It was so funny and I got the giggles every time.
The eye later that evening and the next day at school
Two days later and three days later
Four days later and a week later.  
It has been 2 weeks now and there is just some slight bruising under and around his eye.  
My sweet boy is almost back to looking normal!

2 comments:

Whitney Jo said...

Oh poor guy. That is a huge shiner! I am sure he'll be able to milk Clark for a very long time :).

The Seaquist Family said...

I love the "usual night screaming." We totally have that. I never go running anymore. We'll even be at the playground and I will see all of these mothers running to my son - knowing he is perfectly fine. This story makes me laugh. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Thanks for blogging reality!